Skip to main content

The Saree and its Excess Baggage

As a lanky young girl in her late teens who first stepped into Medical School, I gawked in horror when I was told that I was supposed to wear sarees to classes for a month or so as part of the college tradition for all Freshers. That the whole saree thing was to be accompanied by drippingly oiled hair parted in the middle and braided with the ends tied with fluorescent orange and green ribbons is another story in itself, of course. But for the eighteen year old me, who didn't really care how she looked, the oiled hair wasn't an issue as much as the saree was - simply because I had absolutely no clue how to drape one. 

Cut to a little over a decade later, as a newly married woman, the women of my husband's family and extended family are pleasantly surprised as to just how comfortably I drape my sarees, not requiring the help that was very generously offered by a bevy of aunts and sisters in law. Somewhere in these past few years, I fell in love with this quintessentially Indian drape - loved by many of my mother's generation, feared by some of my friends, disliked by few - but largely, admired by one and all. 

For Indian millenial women, draping a saree may or may not be exactly what they like doing, and understandably so. For most, myself included, we maybe drape one to wedding functions or when we simply feel like dressing up for a social do. But what I have realised that the moment we make that choice of wearing/not wearing a saree, we open ourselves up to a sea of perceptions and judgement. 

For someone like me who likes wearing sarees, I may choose to wear one to work someday. Just like that. No reason in particular. But what is perplexing is that people then automatically think I have been forced/coerced into doing so. At the other end of the spectrum, when receiving guests at home, if I wear a saree, the elders all smile appreciatively, while some may even commend me on having managed to wear it in the first place. Choosing not to wear a saree on formal occasions, specially for young married women, may be frowned upon. With the evolution in our society, though slow, people may not walk up to the woman in question and blatantly suggest her to change; but if she does drape one, chances of appreciation immediately multiply.

As a result of all the perceptions that come with it, wearing a saree requires more forethought than simply worrying about matching blouses and petticoats. Wear one to work and one may be labelled "regressive" or there may be whispers about how "the inlaws must have told her to"; wear one at home and forever run the risk of living up to expectations of frequently wearing one; wear a simple cotton one it to a evening do and yet run the risk of being overdressed simply because it is a saree ; wear it to a family function and hear people gush about how "sanskaari" you are -the list of perceptions attached to a saree is endless.

It is high time we look at the saree for what it is - a garment. Rooted in our culture, a part of our being, but a garment nonetheless. And the choice to wear/not wear one should only be governed by one's own willingness to, and not by what people may think of you as a result of it. As far as I am concerned, my journey from being a saree-clad woman to a saree-mad woman was complete a few years ago, and that definitely had nothing to do with parental/societal pressures. I love wearing a saree, but it's high time we give our women the freedom to love it or hate it just how they want to. 


Comments

  1. First of all Pooja... May gain is that I have learnt three new words which I didnt know earlier...
    And to say the actual one... A common but ignored reality attached to a gorgeous wearing garment expressed in extraordinary manner ..

    Hope to read more and more in future...... Your standard and and the style of writing are well maintained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sir. I value your feedback greatly as it has helped evolve my writing over the years.

      Delete
  2. Tru bt lyk othr thngs women have lessfreedom to choose garmnts fo herslf, it shd b cos u lyk to wear not bcos others pressurise u to ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pooja.. I think every choice we make in life makes us susceptible to lots of speculations... you know well how I love my drapes but I have myself been through many similar experiences in life... beautiful and simple selection of words...very nice ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pooja being a ardent fan of Saree .. have been through many similar experiences in life... but the love story continues...
    Very nice simple selection of words
    Beautiful ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, di. It means so much coming from you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sisterhood of Medicine

"Sister, when will the Doctor be here?", asked a middle aged man. I turned from my examination table, where I was examining a six year old boy, and replied, " I am the doctor, how can I help you?". The man looked at me doubtfully - I was in a salwar kameez with my stethoscope around my neck - and repeated - " No but Sister, I need my child to be seen by a Doctor  Sir".   This is only one of the many incidents that I- as well as most of my young female colleagues at work- go through on a daily basis. Young female doctors get mistaken for nurses all the time, although the nursing staff always has a specific uniform. The young male doctors, however, do not encounter any such confusion. I have no idea whether I can label this as casual sexism or pure ignorance, but people across social and economic spectrums tend to address female doctors as "Sister" as opposed to "Madam". The men, however, get to be "Sir" throughout.  S

The Matter of the Root.

In a country where your name (more importantly, your surname) is more or less a reflection of your identity- from where you belong down to your caste and religion- imagine having a name that doesn't pin you down to a certain state or territory or region, even. Given that situation, I have now come to simply laugh off the surprised reactions I get when people realise I am Assamese. I have had colleagues who simply assumed I was Bengali for years,friends of friends enquiring which part of Delhi or Punjab I am from and even random aunties at weddings judging me for gorging on chicken because apparently, I am a Marwari! I usually laugh the whole thing off, sometimes even playing a guessing game with the people who seem hellbent on decoding where I actually am from. But somewhere at the back of my mind, over the years, a nagging question has kept building up in my mind--a question I have tried to answer very many times, although not very satisfactorily--- What does being an Assamese