Skip to main content

What the SSR case taught me about my friends and family

 For weeks on end now, Indian news channels have followed – or rather, hounded- the case of an unfortunate and untimely death of a movie star with the persistence of a bank exceutive trying to sell you a credit card and the sensitivity of a sledgehammer. Many articles have since cropped up on both sides of the table-debating, analysing and ultimately ruing at what has come to pass for “journalism” these days- and with news channels crossing every ethical limit possible, the reproach is somewhat understandable. The antics of the anchors on the primetime news vary from outrageous, absurd, scandalous, sleazy to downright unintentionally comic, but this is hardly surprising to anyone who has been following popular Indian news channels for a few years now. 

I have stopped watching primetime news altogether simply because I acknowledge that almost all of it is politically sponspored propaganda one way or the other aimed to distract people from asking real questions about real issues, with nothing really neutral. Hence, the shameless coverage of this case was somewhat expected, let alone surprising – more so since it happened with a pandemic crushing our healthcare and our economy in the backdrop. 

What did surprise me, and unpleasantly so, was how my family and some of my friends chose to consume this case as it played out on their television screens relentlessly. It brought out the deep rooted sexism, misogyny, patriarchy and absolutely zero awareness of mental health issues within people close to me, all well educated, mind you. People who I thought may see through the smokescreen, people who have actually encouraged and empowered me to be the opinionated woman I am today. 

A member of my family was of the opinion that since the person who passed away lost his mother at a young age, hence he had “nobody really to guide him away from substance abuse” since that is primarily a mother’s job. That the said person was youngest of five siblings and still had his father around is immaterial, apparently. That got me thinking, when we lost Heath Ledger to a drug overdose, why weren’t we wondering where his mother was? Another family member was quick to label the girlfriend as “an obvious gold digger since she is anyways a flop actress” , based on the girlfriend’s interview on a news channel where “she didn’t look sad or remorseful, but she looked like a calculating and manipulative kind of woman”. Really? How does a calculative and manipulative woman look? I mean, if looks are that dead a giveaway, wouldn’t anybody steer clear of such women?  

Then there were the gems on my social media friendlist, which actually had me thinking- what are these kind of people doing in my friendlist, in the first place? A fraction is convinced it is a brutal murder and not a suicide, some refute allegations of depression and drug abuse on the basis that he was academically brilliant and was probably a person with an above average IQ who cracked many engineering entrance exams. I wonder what they would say if they were to enter any professional college (even the topmost institutes) hostels in India today to see what a rampant reality substance abuse is. There were a few who chose to “boycott” the girlfriends interview on a news channel because they didn’t even want to hear her side of the story. Why bother, since you already have the full truth by listening to one single perspective that is systematically being fed to you? 

Then there were the ones who pretended to want to listen to the other side of the story only so that they can widely diss it on social media and also ridicule the person who bothered interviewing her and label him to be a blatant liar and scoundrel. He may be lying, and his move may be part of propaganda- sure, but isn’t it possible that is true for the opposite side too? But the most heartbreaking of them all, I actually happened to come across doctors justifying their prejudices and judgement on this case by shutting up people who countered them with tales of how they work for hours in PPE kits during the pandemic and hence after such stress, it is their choice who and what they want to follow. Sure it is, but is it correct to call people names publicly only because you think they are part of a propaganda? Why then, do they get all flustered when the favour is returned to them? 

The biggest eye opener, however, has been how people largely view mental health issues. I lost count of how many people were surprised, and still unconvinced, when I told them that depression doesn’t necessarily manifest as a person crying for hours. That a seemingly successful person, who happens to be a public figure, can also be suffering from depression inspite of all his pictures in the public domain showing him smiling impishly- is still a bewildering concept at best to most. What do they expect? A person suffering from clinical depression must be depressed literally- with his pictures showing him banging his head against walls or him bawling his eyes out? The fact that depression can also be a deeply internalised struggle and a battle that these patients fight with themselves everyday is a truth too nuanced to capture the imagination of an audience dumbed down by some stupid soap opera-ish ideas about mental health. 

So the coverage of this case doen’t surpise, shock or sadden me. What deeply saddens me is that it has made me realise that even for those people who are close to me and whom I thought to be evolved enough to be somewhat “woke”, it is easier to get convinced about the guilt/innocence of an individual on the basis of what is nothing less than propaganda driven coverage from both sides rather than let the law of the land take its due course and let the deceased soul truly rest in peace and dignity. There is no point in blaming primetime news for dumbing them down, as consuming this brand of “news” is a choice that this audience has made for themselves. The channels are merely catering to this naked, voyeuristic demand for sleaze and slander.

At the end of the day, among all the memes and posters that are doing the rounds concerning the case, one rang true like no other – “It is easier for a country like ours to believe a woman to be a slut, a gold digger, a drug addict, a social climber and a murderer rather than believe a grown man had mental health issues.” 

Rest In Peace, Sushant Singh Rajput. I am glad you aren’t around to see what a circus we have made of your passing. I am sure you shall find your peace in another world, because this one sure as hell makes sure you don’t have any, even after you are gone.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sisterhood of Medicine

"Sister, when will the Doctor be here?", asked a middle aged man. I turned from my examination table, where I was examining a six year old boy, and replied, " I am the doctor, how can I help you?". The man looked at me doubtfully - I was in a salwar kameez with my stethoscope around my neck - and repeated - " No but Sister, I need my child to be seen by a Doctor  Sir".   This is only one of the many incidents that I- as well as most of my young female colleagues at work- go through on a daily basis. Young female doctors get mistaken for nurses all the time, although the nursing staff always has a specific uniform. The young male doctors, however, do not encounter any such confusion. I have no idea whether I can label this as casual sexism or pure ignorance, but people across social and economic spectrums tend to address female doctors as "Sister" as opposed to "Madam". The men, however, get to be "Sir" throughout.  S

The Saree and its Excess Baggage

As a lanky young girl in her late teens who first stepped into Medical School, I gawked in horror when I was told that I was supposed to wear sarees to classes for a month or so as part of the college tradition for all Freshers. That the whole saree thing was to be accompanied by drippingly oiled hair parted in the middle and braided with the ends tied with fluorescent orange and green ribbons is another story in itself, of course. But for the eighteen year old me, who didn't really care how she looked, the oiled hair wasn't an issue as much as the saree was - simply because I had absolutely no clue how to drape one.  Cut to a little over a decade later, as a newly married woman, the women of my husband's family and extended family are pleasantly surprised as to just how comfortably I drape my sarees, not requiring the help that was very generously offered by a bevy of aunts and sisters in law. Somewhere in these past few years, I fell in love with this quintessential

The Matter of the Root.

In a country where your name (more importantly, your surname) is more or less a reflection of your identity- from where you belong down to your caste and religion- imagine having a name that doesn't pin you down to a certain state or territory or region, even. Given that situation, I have now come to simply laugh off the surprised reactions I get when people realise I am Assamese. I have had colleagues who simply assumed I was Bengali for years,friends of friends enquiring which part of Delhi or Punjab I am from and even random aunties at weddings judging me for gorging on chicken because apparently, I am a Marwari! I usually laugh the whole thing off, sometimes even playing a guessing game with the people who seem hellbent on decoding where I actually am from. But somewhere at the back of my mind, over the years, a nagging question has kept building up in my mind--a question I have tried to answer very many times, although not very satisfactorily--- What does being an Assamese